CFI is fortunate to have strong volunteer support for our programs! Volunteer opportunities include contributing to maintaining our community and school gardens, gathering food donations, preparing produce for distribution, teaching at workshops, and serving on our Board of Directors. Whatever your interests or skills, we’ll find a meaningful place for you to participate in making our communities and people more resilient and food secure.
Please fill out a Volunteer Interest Form below if you are interested in volunteering for us. Call 740.593.5971 or email email@example.com for more information.
Volunteers who have dedicated more than 25 hours with our organization include:
- Raquel Gleicher (2017/2018 Media/Marketing Intern)
- Rebecca Trate (2017/2018 Media/Marketing Intern)
- Sarah Hill (2017/2018 Discovery Kitchen Intern)
- Lucas Hakes-Rodriguez (2017 Media/Marketing Intern)
- Bethany Bella (2016-2017 Social Media and Blogging Intern)
- Morgan Brenner (2016 Marketing Intern)
- Randy and Rachel Riling (Nelsonville Community Gardeners)
- Kailee Slusser (2016 Marketing Intern)
Volunteer & Internship Openings
If you are in need of a resume builder, real world experience, or possibly internship credits for school, we would be happy to exchange an internship experience for your volunteer work with CFI! With a small staff and an organization that isn’t for profit, there is always room for our team to grow in infinite directions, whether your speciality lies in biology, event planning, education, or a creative field.
Large Volunteer Groups
Large volunteer groups are perfect for helping us at garden work parties with laying mulch, turning compost, sprucing up abandoned plots, and planting at our Donation Station garden plots.
To make your experience the most meaningful, we ask that large volunteer groups meet the following criteria:
- Time of Year: Spring to Late Fall (April - October)
- Maximum # of hours: 2
- Maximum # of volunteers: 15
- Minimum amount of time to plan event: a Month
- If needed, rain dates could potentially be rescheduled, but please have your own back up plan of fulfilling any volunteer hours.
- Let us know if you have transportation for volunteers to travel outside of Athens city. We have multiple community gardens within driving distance that would benefit from volunteers' hard work.
What can you expect during the volunteer group event?
- An introduction to Community Food Initiatives, food insecurity, and Appalachia Ohio
- Completion of volunteer liability forms
- Assigned tasks with clear instructions
- 'Reflection of Service' circle at the end of the event
What should you ensure all of your volunteers bring to the event?
- Comfortable clothes that can get dirty
- Plenty of water, preferably in a reusable water bottle
- Closed toed shoes
Feel that your group of volunteers would have a blast with our organization? Talk to us: firstname.lastname@example.org