Looking to extend your seed saving knowledge to new heights?
Please scroll to the bottom of the page to register.
The following workshops provide professional training for seed savers, growers, and plant breeders; create the foundation for a statewide seed savers alliance; and expand opportunities and reduce barriers for small-scale seed producers in Ohio. This course is recommended for those with some seed saving experience.
This series of programming events is a collaborative effort between Ridge & Hollow Seed Alliance, Ohio University, Ohio State University, Miami University, Antioch College, and the Cleveland Seed Bank.
These workshops are a partnership effort between Ridge & Hollow Seed Alliance and Ohio State University's Initiative for Food and AgriCultural Transformation (InFACT). Ridge & Hollow Seed Alliance, a program of Community Food Initiatives, works to build a network of seed growers, preserve Appalachian heritage and increase market demand for locally saved seeds. Community Food Initiatives is an Athens, Ohio based non-profit working to foster communities where everyone has equal access to healthy, local food.
Workshops are from 10am-4pm and include a locally catered lunch. Cost of attendance is $25 for adults, $15 for students. Scholarship applications are also available.
The workshop locations and schedules are as follows:
Wooster: Adaptation Theme
Saturday, September 9, 2017
Yellow Springs: Management Theme
Saturday, October 21, 2017
Cleveland: Management Theme
Saturday, November 4, 2017
Athens: Adaptation Theme
Saturday, January 20, 2017
Athens Community Center
701 E State St, Athens, OH 45701
Catered by: TBD
● 9:15 AM - 9:45 AM: Event check in
● 9:45 AM - 10:00 AM: Welcome and Introductions
● 10:00 AM -11 AM: History and Future of Seeds: Understanding Practices and Policies-Mary Nally, CFI
● 11:00 AM-11:15 AM: Transition
● 11:15 AM - 12:15 PM: Lost Crops - Dr. Paul Patton, Ohio University
● 12:15 PM - 1:15 PM: Lunch
● 1:15 PM - 2:15 PM: Genetic Diversity, Adaptation, and Seed Germination- Dr. Kristen Mercer, OSU
● 2:15 PM- 2:30 PM: Transition
● 2:30 PM - 3:30 PM: Hacking Hybrids- Dr. Art Trese, Ohio University
● 3:30 PM- 4:00 PM: Closing statements
People that have registered will be notified of any schedule changes.
If you would, kindly fill out the registration form below: